A list of blessings I came up with one Sabbath morning on my way to church in order to somehow lift my heavy spirit by making myself aware of all the things I had to be thankful for. It didn’t work.
1. I am alive.
2. Both my parents are alive.
3. All my grandparents are alive.
4. I have not lost a lot of close people to death.
5. Both my parents were and are a part of my life.
6. I have three siblings and all of them are alive and well.
7. I am not sick. I have never been admitted to a hospital. I wasn’t born with any major illness(es).
8. My body functions the way it is supposed to. Both my legs work fine and I can walk. I have both my arms and I can use them. I have control of my body, no part of it is paralyzed or has been amputated.
9. I eat everyday, more than once.
10. I have clean water to use and drink.
11. I have more than one pair of shoes.
12. I have clothes.
13. I have a bedroom.
14. I have a large loving family.
15. I completed basic, primary, and high school, and am now in college.
16. I have friends.
17. I know God.
18. I’ve never been physically abused.
19. I’ve never been raped or molested in any way.
20. I am not addicted to any drug.
21. I smile everyday.
22. I have a Bible.
23. I can be a Christian freely and openly.
24. I’ve never faced discrimination because of my race or gender.
25. I was not born and I do not now live or have ever lived in the eastern part of the world.
26. I have never been treated as a second class citizen.
27. I have hope.
28. I have a church to go to every Sabbath that is inside a building.
29. I have never experienced an earthquake, a volcano, or a tsunami.
30. None of the hurricanes that I have lived through have caused any major damage to my home or family.
31. I have choices, and a say in what happens in my life.
32. I’ve never been in a vehicular accident.
33. I almost drowned more than once, almost.
34. I can swim.
35. Even when the money was really low and my mother was clueless, God still took care of us.
36. I grew up with love.